Thursday, April 27, 2006

A weighty issue?


Why don't they make clothing that just fits?

It's not just me. I have a really hard time trying to find clothing that fits Nick. Pants come in either 18 or 24 months. The 18 month size stops well above his ankles, giving him a Steve Urkle look. But if I try to put him in the 24 month pants I have to roll the cuffs. They keep falling down anyway because they are too big around the waist. His shirts are either too big, or they make him look like he's auditioning for "A Chorus Line." If both top and bottoms fit, they are probably not going to match.

Nathan has lots of clothes that fit. Nathan's issue is that I'm trying to fit him into as many cute outfits as I can before he grows out of them completely. I can change him 3 times a day for a week and he'd still have enough clothes.

I myself just spend 45 minutes trying to find something to wear. Before getting pregnant I used to wonder where the 6 foot tall 110lb women were, since all the pants I purchased were obviously made for them - too long and tight around the middle. But then I got pregnant and the pants refused to rise above my knees. My body changed that much. And I refuse to purchase new clothing because I DON'T KNOW WHAT MY BODY WILL BE LIKE IN TWO MONTHS. Am I still loosing baby weight? Is this it? Will my body stay this way? No one knows. I have 2 pairs of jeans that fit - and "fit" is a relative term. One pair is tight around the thighs yet exposes my underwear if I kneel or bend over. (hello - I work with kids - this is unavoidable.) If both pairs are dirty, like today, I have a number of drawstring pants my mother gave me that can work, only I tend to have the same underwear-showing problem, and they are almost all capris so I'll be cold, and I can't tell you the last time I shaved my legs I'm really sorry to say it but it's true. Once I have selected pants, I need to find a shirt that is long enough to not show off a bit of my belly, which is still pretty scarred up and stretch marky. My new chest makes all my shirts two inches shorter than they used to be.

For the record, I don't mean to be complaing about weight. That's not my point. My point is that I have nothing to wear. Nothing that fits, anyway. And if it fits, it doesn't match. It really makes me not want to leave the house because I feel so patchworky and thrown together - not in a stylish way, but in a "hey, look, that color blind lady just stole an outfit from the Goodwill Bin" kind of way.

2 comments:

Lou said...

Oh my god. Me too!! Only, I have to be here at work looking like a fat freak. Today, I have on maternity pants (hey, at least they don't give me muffin top) and a shirt that kind of covers the maternity waistband, but is too tight in the chest area and shows the outline of my nursing pads. Nice!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Is there room in this club for me too -- o, wait, I didn't have any kids; I'm just overweight. O, well, count me in anyway!