Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Insanity of youth



"Three kids?" people used to say. "you're going to have your hands full!" And I would smile and nod and wonder "why?"

I honestly couldn't tell you why three kids would be crazier than two. How could it be that much different? Well, it's not. It's the same, just intensified.

Even when they are all behaving, it's crazy. For example, last night as we were getting ready for bed I thought I would loose my mind. Nicholas was putting on his pull-up. The way he did this was to wave it around and every once and awhile give a half hearted step up to put a leg in, but he missed. Instead he was intent on telling me a story about how he and Mario were going to go to the beach with Jackie's Dad and Salty (also imaginary people), and how they would have to drive a long, long time, and how they might have to stay the night, Nick should pack a bag. He should bring his Lamby, and a blanket, and maybe some other clothes.

I listened to this with half an ear, because Nathan was sitting in my lap and I was trying to help him put on his pj's. But Nate likes to do things by himself, even if he has never done it before, even if it will take him hours to master the skill. Which sucks because the boy is VERY impatient. "Help me!" he says. Then immediately "No! Me! No! Me!" and he screams because I reached out my hand to pull a shirt down or to help a shoe on. So while Nicholas was telling his story, Nathan was "Uh oh! Uh oh! No! Me!" and using my head to balance himself as he tried putting his shirt on his feet.

While all this was going on, Andy was neglected. He had started fussing, but I was getting the boys dressed for bed, and so he didn't get the attention he needed. Somewhere along the line his fussing because crying, which became wailing. Neither of the boys seemed to notice. They didn't speed up or turn their attention away from me. They just kept talking and crying and asking for help and crying because I was helping.

So you see, it's the volume. THAT is what is crazy. The noise. The stuff that prompts me to yell when everyone is actually doing exactly what I told them.

2 comments:

Debs said...

Yeah, but the thing is, noisy as 3 (or 4 in blest's house!) boys can be, you miss the noise when it's not there. Or at least I did, and still do. Just possibly not screaming, but other than that I like noise!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

O, thanks! That was a good one! I am wiping away tears & preparing to leave for work with a smile on my face.