Sunday, March 09, 2008

Time Warp - Again



Anyone with young children can tell you that daylight savings is just an excuse for torturing people who have decided to procreate. I wake up and go to sleep in the dark no matter what the season is. Are you telling me there are people this actually makes a difference to?

My children woke up this morning at 5:30. There is a lot of strong wind at the moment, and you can hear it whistling through the windows. We also had a power outage during the night which meant I had to deal with a 2am panic from Nick, who woke up in pitch dark, and I also had to bumble my way down the hall to feed the baby. I did manage to find a couple of flashlights, which is amazing considering the state of half-sleep I was in...

In any case, my body clock was all messed up. So when I the sound of pitter pattering feet... OK, of stomping feet... woke me up and I saw that the clock said 5:30am, it didn't immediately register. I lurched down the hall in my usual grumpy state, upset because yesterday, when Steve got up with them, the boys slept past 6am. But this morning my kids wake at 5:30, because I only got up four times during the night.

It was after I fed Andy and convinced the boys to pick up some toys that I realized the clocks had changed. And we hadn't gone back, we'd gone FORWARD. So, according to their little body clocks, my boys actually got up at 4:30 AM! FOUR FREAKIN THIRTY IN THE MORNING! I'm asking you, what is it about me? They'll sleep forever when Steve gets up, but the one morning I should be allowed to sleep until the clocks say 7 they cheat me of ninety dream minutes.

It is so unfair, I tell you.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

haircuts!! they're lookin sharp. Daylight savings sucks!! How did they know they were springing forward?! It' so cheap!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Well, you might take a cue from that mother I read about recently who had taken to dosing her kids with antihistamines at bedtime whether they needed it or not. The kids slept but I am pretty sure the mother was caught by DYFS & is now getting awakened early by jailhouse guards! Or you could run away from home! Come here -- we'll go to the movies & out to lunch!

Debs said...

At church this morning little Debbie (she's 5, and so she's little Debbie, and I'm big Debbie) was asking me "are you going back to America tomorrow? Or next week? On Sunday? Monday?" and literally went through the next few months day by day.

Maybe it's a sign that I should be continuing to visit my blogging friends in America, and then you'd have another adult to share the getting up with?!

Don't worry, I won't be thrusting myself upon you just yet. Instead I think I need to be doing something grown up like getting a proper job and settling down to do it for a few months before I start heading all over again.

One day, however, it'd be great to meet you in person. In the meantime , I hope you manage to catch up on some sleep.
Big hugs.