Thursday, December 10, 2009

1 of 8 Crazy Nights

I went and bought the boys Advent calenders at the supermarket. They cost a dollar each, there's a picture of Santa, and 25 little flaps with 25 waxy chocolate flakes in them. I figured the chocolate wasn't too much, and it would give them a chance to count down, to recognize the numbers, and to wait the wait.

But there's a problem. There are too many treats around this time of year - the cookies, the gingerbread houses, the candy canes - and this one thing they know they can have every day. So every day begine with a "Can we have our advent calender now?" starting about thirty seconds after breakfast.

At Church school, Nick made an advent calender in his class. I like his a lot, and I might just make some here next year. Each day has a sticker on the number, some smelly stickers, and a task or activity. Like "Load the dishwasher!" or "Write a letter to a friend!" And I know it's cheezy, but frankly it had me at "dishwasher."

SO!

While we whip ourselves into more and more of a frenzied meringue over a holiday that is still two weeks away, I thought I'd mention one that is... well, it's now.

Tonight isn't actually the first night of Hanukkah. It's tomorrow, the 11th. But I figure most people read this blog the day after I post, so... there you go.

I don't actually celebrate Hanukkah. But I enjoy the music. What music, you ask? Well... to be honest, I can't think of a lot, besides the Havenu Shaloms. But unless you've been living under a rock, you'll enoy this Hanukkah Song.

No comments: