Wednesday, December 02, 2009

It's The Little Things

The movie "Stepmom" begins with Julia Roberts trying to get her soon-to-be step children ready for school. And there is immediately a problem because it is purple-shirt-day at the girl's school, and Julia has not washed the girl's purple shirt. And then, almost from out of nowhere, Susan Sarandon pops in, purple shirt in hand.

I am sometimes surprised by how many details there are in the boys' school activities. Not only is there the simple day-to-day of getting the boys dressed, to school, to gym, to storytime, but there are the little things. The snacks, the books to return on time, gym clothes to pack and take with us.

And then there are other things. The third Toddler Storytime is a joint party and starts 30 minutes earlier. Nicholas has to keep an alphabet breakfast chart and record what he eats. For awhile each week had a "color" day where they were supposed to wear a specific color. I needed to send in chips for the Halloween party and then something for the trail mix they made before Thanksgiving, but nothing with nuts. HE has a playdate 12/9 with another "Nick." Nathan needs antibiotics each morning (nothing to do with school.) I sometimes sign up to read a story to his class. I had to remember to bring in a gallon of cider the Monday before Thanksgiving, and need to send in a wrapped and labled book for the book swap on Friday. His Holiday concert is the 16th at 9:30. I also need to remember to return the "guest at your table" box at the church, and to select some mittens off the giving tree at the Library (each mitten has a gift request for a needy family or child.)

Is anyone else feeling rattled yet? Because that doesn't count the time I scheduled to bring the car in, my choir rehearsal, my bringing in writing prompts for the writing group, the christmas shopping, wrapping, Andy's birthday, holiday cards, holiday gatherings, and the occasional shower.

It all seems to get mixed up and crazy. Which is why today's Holiday Link is for my new favorite version of the 12 Days of Christmas. If you haven't heard Straight No Chaser, give them a shot. The whole album is really good. It makes me wish I could sing a capella. And also that I was a guy. In this group.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I can't believe you don't have a blackberry or some sort of sophisticated portable calendar in hand to keep all of those things sorted out. I grew really dependent on mine when I worked at Amnesty and now that I don't have one, I feel perpetually out of sorts and discombobulated. How do you do it?? And for your purposes, would having something like a blackberry be helpful or just be a total pain in the butt?

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I am exhausted just reading the details -- that you do them every day is AMAZING! You ARE Super-Mommy! Now, what Santa should really be bringing you for Christmas is a week away in Puerto Vallarta with the 'girls' for nothing but spa, spa, spa & margaritas!!! Let the elves watch the boys for a change!