Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gift Guide


Someone told me today that, to give the best gifts, one should first make a list of the best gifts they have ever received. This is supposed to give some idea of what the giver thinks is important in a gift.

So... here goes, just a few, in no particular order.

- Into The Woods CD. My brother gave me this for my fifteenth birthday. We had seen it together on Broadway, and I fell in love with it. To this day it is one of my favorites.

- The Passion, by Jeanette Winterson. I love that book.

- Personalized bottles of wine - when Steve and I married we got five bottles of homemade wine with personalized labels, each intended for a different anniversary. Now, the wine is not the best, but I really felt that gift was heartfelt. And I still have the last two bottles (10 years and 25 years.)

- A few times I've actually been able to go on trips without my children. Overnight trips, mostly to warmer climates. I really appreciate the people watching the kids when I took time for myself.

- Disney World. Magic. 'nuff said.

- The letters that I got when I was at college, most of which were sent by my Aunt Frances. Even if I never wrote her back, she always wrote to me. It let me know she would always be there, no matter what.

OK, so there's no way I can remember every gift I've ever gotten. But I guess the overall idea is in there, somewhere.

Giving gifts can be frustrating. Because everyone wants their gift to be one of those gifts. The gift of all gifts. The Ultimate gift. But sometimes... sometimes there is just no way to know what to get some people.

So... Today's Holiday Link is Skipping Christmas, a short book by John Grisham. I have never read it, but it's supposed to be funny. And I have seen the movie based on it, Christmas With The Kranks.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You have alwys been a gracious, enthusiastic & thnkful gift receiver. So I always thought my gifts to you were your favourites!