Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Gift ( would you like to hear a poem?)


'Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
Except for Steve's mouse.

The stockings were hung
By the pellet stove with care
With great hopes that Nicholas
Would let them stay there.

With the shopping all over
And the feasting gone by
We all settled down
For a little shut-eye.

When down in the kitchen
Gunther made such a clatter
That I rose from the bed
To see what was the matter.

It was Santa himself
That plump jolly old elf
And he laughed when he saw me
In spite of himself.

I was dressed in my jammies
My hair mussed from the bed
I looked drab right next
To his ensemble of red.

"Santa!" I whispered
"Seein' you here is great,
But could you please keep it down
So the kids will sleep late?

"I know that they won't
'cause kids don't work that way,
But let's give it a try.
What do you say?"

Santa laughed once again
Then he quieted down
And although he worked swiftly
He never did frown.

And I thought to myself
How lucky am I?
For in every way,
Every day that goes by

Is a gift unto me
'Cause there's joy in each one.
If you know how to look
Then you'll find the fun.

And the kindness and love
That so many find sappy
Can often be just the thing
That keeps it from crappy.

And so then Santa winked.
Up the chimney he rose,
And I dabbed at my eyes
And sniffled my nose.

And I wish that you all
May have joy and good cheer
And happiness to last you
All through the year.

If I could wrap it all
Up in a bow
It's just what I'd give to
You each, don't you know.

But I can't, so
You'll all get snuggies instead.
And I am now going back
Up to my bed.

My family's so great!
My friends, out of sight!
Merry Christmas to all,
And to all a good night!

2 comments:

Susan's Losin' said...

Thanks, Kathleen, for reminding us about what it is all about. Merry Christmas to you and your fam!

Love, Sue

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You are your father's daughter.