Friday, December 11, 2009

Trains, Balloons, Books, Dreidles


I decided to celebrate Andy's birthday the day we decorate our christmas tree, which is tomorrow. And I also thought he should have some balloons, because he always points them out, and almost stole one from the house of the last playdate we all had.

So this afternoon I packed all three kids into the car and headed to The Party Store. And at The Party Store we purchased three balloons - a big Thomas The Tank Engine balloon, and two smaller Thomas balloons.

Ever since we got home, Andy has been walking from room to room with his big balloon. He screamed when I made him let go to take a bath. He DID, however, hand it right over when it was time for bed.

Gunther, however, is terrified. He's always been afraid of balloons, even as a puppy, even before hearing his first one pop. So he's within two feet of me at all times. If I take a step to get something and then try to step back, I trip over him.

For me, the most exciting part of the afternoon was after the balloon purchase, when we went to the closeout bookstore next door. We weren't there for me, but for a birthday present for a girl in Nick's class. But as soon as we walked in, each boy shot off in a different direction and kept bringing me back different items. I kept saying "No! No! Andy, come back. Nick, no! Nathan, put it back, Back! Nick - Andy! Let's go over here. Let's go, Andy! Let's go. THIS WAY, NATE!"

Seriously, I must have sounded like a madwoman.

And a lot of the items were scuffed a little, or smushed, or not perfect, but I did manage to find a few good things, and then a few more things, but I had no idea how much anything actually cost. And I was irritated because my kids were... see above.

Anyhow, I was jabbering on and on, like a crazy lady, in the checkout line. Yammer yammer yammer... and the lady checking me out then says "That will be two seventy."

And I fell silent. I mentally tallied my purchases - five items. The lady must have made an error and only the price of one of them went through, and she's tired and had a long day and isn't picking up on it. Should I say something? Should I let her know? I glanced at the receipt. It showed all five items. Each for less than a dollar.

My first instinct was to turn back and buy one of everything my kids had asked me for.

I didn't.

And to honor that, I'm now posting The South Park Dreidle Song. I love this song for all the different parts, but it does have some profanity. And... well, it's South Park. Really funny, though.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

i love that gunther is afraid of balloons. it's very endearing

g. fox said...

look at those little men... how are they growing so fast?

also, ditto to Jamie. I love that dog.