Monday, September 20, 2010

Apple Pie

After apple picking, we had about five thousand apples that we needed to use. If you're good at math, this breaks down to about a thousand apples per person. To put this in perspective, when I buy apples at the grocery, I usually get three. For a week.

So, yeah. We had to increase our apple consumption.

Aside from the obvious solutions (eating them and packing them in snack bags) I decided to cook with them.

I made a pie.

Nathan loved it.

Nate: Can I have another piece of pie?
Me: No, one is enough.
Nate: I have an idea! Whoever eats all their cereal tomorrow morning can have a piece of pie!
Me: Nice try. Maybe at lunch.

Nick and Andy liked the pie, too, but mostly just the crust.

Nick: Mom, sometime can you make a plain pie?
Me: Plain?
Nick: Yeah, not apple, just plain, with nothing.
Me: Just cook up the crust, just plain like that?
Nick: Yeah. Just the crust.
Me: That's called a cookie

It actually was a really good pie.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Mmmmmm, pie! Everyone loves pie! And, bravo for making such a tasty crust that the boys noticed! It's no easy feat to make a crispy, flaky, tasty crust -- you win the Betty Crocker Award today! Hooray Mommy!!

Susan's Losin' said...

My mom used to roll out left over pie crust dough and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar and bake it. It is yummy. Maybe Nick would like that!