Monday, September 06, 2010

Running On Empty

Ever since I signed Andy up for preschool last spring, I have been looking forward to that first day. I would have almost 3 hours of time just for me. Sure, I've had people watch the kids while I shopped or ran or went to parties, but that was time set aside to do specific things. And this time, this 3 hours, was mine.

I decided I would go running. Not on the treadmill, which is kind of boring, but outdoors. After all, once winter comes, I won't have that as an option, do why not take advantage of the warm weather? And I picked the perfect place - a paved 4 mile trail. Almost all of it is in the shade. I was so excited for this run!

So, after dropping Andy and Nate off at school and sniffling a little in the car, I drove off to this trail. I hopped out of the car and laced up my sneakers. And I started running. It felt great.

For about twenty seconds.

Then someone threw a rock at the back of my leg. At least that's what it felt like. Really, I just pulled my hamstring. And despite stretching it out and trying to walk it off, I couldn't run on it. The pain just kept growing until it felt like the back of my leg was on fire. So I had to turn around and limp back to my car.

Not only did this mean no running outdoors, it meant no running for a few days. Argh.

I'm trying the trail again next Wednesday.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Word to the wise- coming to you from the person who has injured himself in more ways he ever thought possible in 2 years: be soooo careful and stretch both before and after your runs. Listen to your back and knees...I'm so sorry about your injured leg and hope you're feeling better soon.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Nooooo! Listen to Jamie! Do all you can to get well & then get out there again.