Sunday, September 12, 2010

Non-Stick Madness - advice needed.

The other night I was making pop-overs...

Well, to be honest, they are not real pop-overs. I follow the recipe for pop-overs but what comes out is usually a kind of buttery muffiny roll. I even use muffin tins. But since I always have the ingredients and the family seems to love them, I make them.

The other night, though, as I was taking the rolls out of the muffin tine, I noticed something. The bottoms of the fake pop-overs had little flakes of gray on them. And the muffin tins were missing little bits of gray coating.

In other words, the non-stick coating of whatever was coming right off and sticking to the food I was preparing for my family.

Seriously, I was using organic milk, organic free-range eggs, whole wheat flour, and then cooking them in something that is, obviously, leaching poison into the whole thing. WHAT, I ask you, is the point.

I ate a couple of the pop-overs anyway. And today I feel like I've been hit by a truck, and yes, it might be just because I'm tired because our schedules have picked up and I'm going full swing, but it could also be that my body is in shock because I ate a chunk of metal and teflon and whatever.

Yes, yes, I'm paranoid. Insert jokes here.

But seriously, I don't like this. I don't like this at all. All I need to be able to do is cook muffins for my kids. How do I do this in a safe way? Can I spend money on a muffin tin and keep it for more than a year, safely? I mean safely as described by me, not safely as describes by some government department with lax guidelines bought off my the people who make the darn cookware.

So... does anyone know what I should be cooking with? Baking with? I'm ready to turn all my bakeware and cookware into sand toys and garage tools and start from scratch.

3 comments:

g. fox said...

Silicone for baking and glass for lasagne, my dear. Easy peasy. Love when I can help.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Popovers need very high heat. Not all coated cookware is graded for very high heat. I've sent you a recipe from Cook's Illustrated that mentions muffin pans (see your email). Silicone pans may not brown the popovers enough. You can buy a cast iron popover pan on ebay for a reasonable amount.

Jamie said...

delivery!!