Monday, September 13, 2010

Working It Out

I know I've already mentioned how much I have been looking forward to the two-and-a-half hours I get to myself three mornings every week. Hours I can do what I want. I can shower without interruption. I can shop without rushing. I can clean without having my work undone almost immediately. (Let me help = Let me undo)

The problem is, there was too much on my list. And I only have, after all, two-and-a-half hours three mornings a week.

I immediately designated one day for food shopping. And another has been set aside for voluteering at Nick's school via PTA, at least every other week, but possibly every week, depending on if they get another teacher, and of the two volunteer positions I get will let me overlap on one day.

What I have effectively done, it seems, is make it even more difficult to fit a run into my day.

See, running takes time. Yes, I've read articles, especially for new mothers, that say over and over that it's the total workout that counts. So do smaller workouts throughout the day. Which is fine, as long as you are an alien that doesn't sweat. Fifteen minutes of running makes me look like I've jumped into a pool. I can't very well show up at the school, red-faced and panting. Can you imagine? "Quick! Gimme my kids before my heart-rate goes down!"

No, I need a good hour for a short workout, and ninety minutes for a satisfying run. Which appears nowhere in my daily schedule. I have plenty of twenty minute gaps where I am stranded at a location with nothing to do, but no ability to smoosh them all together into anything productive.

Oh, to be Samantha Stephens, if only on Mondays!

No comments: