Sunday, September 05, 2010

Day 1

The boys have survived the first day of school.

This year is Andy's first year of school, ever. As a December baby, he barely makes the 2.9 years required to be legally eligible for this classroom. He's one of the youngest kids in the class. But he seems to do just fine. This means he never cries when I drop him off, and the teachers have reported no screaming, biting, or unruly behavior. Yet. But I have never seen him interact with the teachers or the other students, only the train table with the Thomas train on it. And one of the two times I came to pick him up he had wet his pants and not told anybody. So... I guess we'll have to see.

Nicholas is also facing big changes. This is his first year of a full day of school. To be fair, I started him out at preschool from 9 to 3pm, but he got to take naps. This year he has informed me they just "do resting", putting their heads down on the tables for a few moments. A full day of school also means taking the bus home, which made me nervous at first - what if he didn't get on the right bus? He also eats lunch at school, which means I can either pack him a lunch or he can eat the school lunch. I wasn't sure which he preferred. I packed him a lunch the first day, and after that he begged to eat the school lunch, mostly because it was hot dogs. But Friday was the first day the meal ticket went through, and even though it was pizza Nick said it was gross. He also said he picked strawberry milk and that stunk, too. So now I'm allowed to pack him lunch again. I told him we'd be playing it by ear.

Which, I supposed, can be applied to most of the school year at this point.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Congratulations to all of you! All the big boys & also to Mommy who has a good part of the day to herself! Now you might be able to get things done around the house a little quicker AND get in a little time for yourself too! They really do look adorable & excited.