Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Toy Story

Last week I took Nate and Andrew to the Halloween store that pops up every fall in one of the buildings in the next town.
I am not planning on buying costumes this year. After last year, I decided that paying the $30 per costume each year was excessive. We end up with all these costumes at home, and they never get used again until we was to go somewhere and make a good impression, and suddenly Nathan refuses to take off the Spiderman mask and Andy dons a pair of black 'wings' and insists we call him "Mr. Penguin."

But I did say I would buy a few accessories if they wanted. And Halloween is fun, right? So I took the boys.
Well... Halloween IS fun... if you're a teenager. Or maybe even a bigger kid. But when you're under five, Halloween can be scary. Because it isn't fun to be scared. Being scared is just... scary. So, let's say, the big life sized witch statue that cackles and waves her arms around? Scary. The ghost with red eyes that floats up? Scary. The Pinhead statue? Scary. And that mechanical old lady in the rocking chair that rocks back and forth? Scariest Of All.
So I terrified my children. But not before Andrew spotted a few Toy Story costumes. I refused to purchase any of the full costumes, still clinging to the dream that we can make them at home. But I DID end up buying Andy a Woody hat, one almost as expensive as a whole costume. I just got suckered into it. He wanted it so bad, and he was so cute. And he's going to be Woody for Halloween!

Now he doesn't have a choice.

Honestly, I think he looks more Canadian Mountie than Cowboy, but he's satisfied.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

He is a dead ringer for Woody. You need to get him a yellow flannel shirt and maybe a vest?

Jean said...

He's the cutest Woody ever!!

Anne-E. said...

Is that a shiner? What happened?