Friday, March 24, 2006


The danger I face in writing every day is that I spend so much time talking about how busy I am, and how crazy all the little things are making me, that I forget to mention the bigger thing, or the little things that make my heart sing.

This picture was taken in Central Park, on one of those horse and carriage rides - my father's treat when we were visiting. Nick was nervous at first, but soon relaxed and started pointing out all the sights of the park. (Dog! Dog! Tree! Car! Dog!)

The other day when we went to Wal-Mart Nick fell asleep in the car on the way there and started crying when I woke him up and tried to get him to walk. So - in an act that went against many parenting instincts of mine - I actually gave him two quarters, hoping he wouldn't swallow them or choke on them or try to fit one up his nose. I told him he could use them to ride the Ernie and Bert fire engine - he always sits on it, but I rarely have the change to make it go. He was so happy to be given coins that he fell silent at once, only murmuring "money?" every once and awhile. And when we got to the fire engine, he just stood there. He was happier with the money in his hands than on the moving fire truck. Steve and I told each other he would be a wise investor.

And this morning while I was feeding Nate, Nick took his "baa baa" (stuffed lamb from last Easter) and pretended to put powder on it. He then dabbed the lamb with Desitin until I came over and helped him put a diaper on it, which pleased him to no end. It was so funny, and so sweet.

I wish I had more to say about Nathan. But he doesn't DO much. Except smile. He is a good natured baby. He hardly cries - fusses if anything. Even when he got his three huge shots at the doctor's office, he mostly whimpered, his face turnred red and his eyes teared, but there were no screams. His smiles make me feel like the most special person in the world. And he sleeps. It took Nick almost a year to fall into a regular nightime sleep pattern like Nate. Now we're working on a daytime schedule of naps and feedings - the only reason there isn't one is because I keep draggin the poor kid all over instead of giving him the time and space to sleep.

Bottom line, I love my kids. I am guilty of thinking they are the most special beings on this earth. Guilty, guilty guilty. But then, to me they are. So ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They ARE the most special beings on earth! And you, of all people, should know it.