Wednesday, March 01, 2006


Yesterday I went to the doctor. It was that post-baby check-up I was so looking forward to. Other than being forced to step on the scale and having that fun internal exam, it went very well.

The one topic I am never prepared to discuss is that of birth control.

I HATE discussing birth control. I can do it in a general way, such as "if teenagers are going to be having sex they shoudl use BIRTH CONTROL." Or even "If you're thinking about getting pregnant you might want to change the type of BIRTH CONTROL you are using." But wheneve a doctor asks me what my thoughts are, I freeze.

Because at this point they are asking me "Are you having any more children? WHEN are you planning on having these children?" And I am just not able to answer these questions until I get six consecutive hours of sleep. So now I have a perscription for THE PILL, which is sitting in my bag. The good thing about THE PILL is that I can start it when I feel ready and stop it when I feel ready. The bad thing is that I am breastfeeding and the type of pill they give you when you are breastfeeding is different. You have to take this pill at the EXACT SAME TIME EVERY DAY. Or you know what will happen. You will get pregnant.

Obviously you have to do other things to get pregnant as well. It's not magic or anything.

But still. I hate having to remember. I am not good at it. With Nick I stopped taking it - quite by accident. Because I am a forgetful person and one day I will say "Hey - I stopped taking those a couple of weeks ago, didn't I? Oh well..."

2 comments:

Lou said...

I hate it too!! I have a prescription for the mini-pill that I got at my 6 week checkup, but I haven't filled it yet. I don't think I'm going to. The pill does weird things to me. Plus, don't you actually have to have sex to get pregnant? So, I'm safe . . . as I am too afraid to let anything near my hoo-hoo.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo! I just want to grab that little cutie-patootie & kiss him all over til his little eyeballs melt!