Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Yesterday was one of those days that cause parents to drop their offspring off with unsuspecting relatives and run off to the Bahamas. Or to simply consume large quantities of wine.

It began well enough. Both boys woke up just before 6am. I made frozen waffles for breakfast since we were out of bananas, milk, bread, cereal, and most everything else. I packed up both boys and did a quick grocery run, and by 10am we were back home with everything we needed. I guess the day could only go downhill.

I figured I would feed Nick an early lunch and try to get him to nap before Nate's 1:30 doctor's appointment. But since there was so much time to play around with I decided to MAKE BROWNIES FIRST. Please don't ask me why I do these things. There is no reason to ever make brownies unless you're supporting some bake sale. I have this tic that makes me find extra projects on my busiest days to prevent relaxation from occuring.

Anyway, I ended up with Gunther barking to be let out, Nate crying to be fed, Nick crying to be let out of his booster chair, and the brownies being done. I sis a quick mental breakdown to prioritize and went for the brownies in the oven. I then promptly dropped the entire pan on the floor, so I had to scrape thm up with a spatula and ended up with what one might call a pile of brownie.

The next hour was spent feeding Nate and listening to Nick not nap in his bedroom.

Although I started getting us together in what I thought was plenty of time to make it to the doctor's, I wasn't counting on Nick's having a really bad diaper rash and throwing a tantrum during his change. I ended up shoving Nick in his carseat and rushing to make the appointment, forgetting the six forms I had taken the time to read, complete, sign, date... they are still on my fridge. Nick ended up falling asleep on the way to the doctor's office, and I had to wake hom up to get him into the building.

The evening was charming. Nate crying because he had received three huge shots, and Nick crying because he had not napped, had a bad rash, and because I was focusing on his 2 month old brother (who made the 90th percentile for weight.)

Once both boys were sleeping I ate half the pile of brownie and had a glass of wine. We can't afford the Bahamas right now, and the wine is pretty good for $4 a bottle. Then I took a look at this photo and I knew it was all worth it.

2 comments:

Lou said...

That is the cutest picture ever! What and where is this $4 wine and why have you not told me of its existence before now?

Anonymous said...

That IS the cutest baby! Come home; I'll buy you $8 wine!