Tuesday, March 14, 2006


Today we voted in the March elections. This really is a grueling experience. Showing up is easy. Steve and I arranged to take turns watching the boys, which was also a simple thing to figure out.

But the actual ballot...

Actually, I should say BallotS. When you walk in they hand you four legal sized sheets of paper, and each of these is covered in itty bitty writing - double sided! The actual items go something like: Petition #3 - to raise and appropriate the sum of $75,000 in order to finance the renovation and maintenance of the sidewalk in front of lot 4927B for the next five years. What? Where is lot 4927B? What is it? What does the sidewalk look like now? And what they don't say is that the sidewalk is fine, but they want to repave it in rubberized gold plate because it matches the decore inside the bank which it's in front of, and this will require every pedestrian to take off their shoes as they walk by, and it will also poison your dog.

I walked out of the Middle School Gym in such a state that I just HAD to purchase two boxes of Girl Scout Cookies, even though I had already consumed an entire Hershey's bar. Not one of the small ones, one of the BIG ones used for cooking. I wonder if the Girl Scouts plto with the politicians to word each item on the ballots like that just so that dazed voted will emerge and purchase large quantities of cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a headache just from reading your description of the ballot. I would comment further, but feel impelled to go out & find a few boxes of cookies to comfort me, then a nap!