Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year To Me

It wasn't three hours into the New Year that I managed to break one of my New Year's resolutions; I had resolved to be more lighthearted and less grumpy with my children. Not that I saw the New Year come in. I tried, kind of. I purchased a bottle of champagne and watched TV with Steve until he woke me up at 10:30. I had a blinding headache and I was so tired I could hardly function. Steve made a comment about missing the champagne, and then sent me off to bed.

And of course, before resting my head, I had to settle Andrew down, because even though he was sleeping fine while we were watching TV, as soon as I entered my bedroom he woke up and started fussing. To him, it was daytime. He also woke up at 1:30, and I spent the next two hours alternating between feeding him, changing his diaper, and stuffing his pacifier back in his mouth. During one diaper change he pooped as soon as I could get the diaper off him. Apparently he was fussing because he HAD to poop. Not because he needed a change, yet. He was just giving me a heads up. How thoughtful. Once I did get him down he stayed asleep until about 4:30, and then I had to settle him again.

I was holding out some hope that Nick and Nate would sleep in, because they didn't get to bed until 8PM the night before, and Nicholas hadn't taken a nap. (you can read between the lines here and assume I didn't get a nap either, if anyone is keeping track.) But no. They both woke up as early as ever, a bright 5:25. And I ignored them until just after 6am, when Nathan began walking down the hall with his singing toolbox. That's when Andrew started crying again. So I just got up.

The boys had made a royal mess in their room (which Nick cleaned up when I asked him.) The cats had turned over the trash can and leftover green beans and chicken bones littered the kitchen floor. (I think Gunther was just sad he missed out.) I still have a headache.

So I have broken my resolution to be less grumpy. I have other resolutions that I can break today, too. I'm thinking the one about cookies.

4 comments:

Debs said...

blest and I have decided people go about resolutions the wrong way. Instead of making ones they're liable to break, they should make ones like 'drink more coffee', 'sleep' (ok, so you might manage to break that one!) 'laugh more'.
Honestly not trying to depress you, so hope I haven't!
Happy New Year :-)

Jamie said...

happy new year kathleen!! Stay hydrated I'm so sorry you're not feeling well!

Anonymous said...

Its very hard when you have a baby and toddlers. Just hold on through this season which will pass eventually. Hope you can get them into coordinating nap times soon.

By the way your comment about Andrew's fussing cos he needed to poop reminded me about an article I read the other day about potty training. Suggesting you start earlier rather than later and look for the little signs your baby makes so that you can then shove them on the potty. It suggested we train kids to use their nappies and they are so comfortable that they then have to unlearn which is harder.
Not trying to make you feel harassed or anything, just a thought but one I would have at least tried if I had my time again.

Jamie said...

seriously. its time for andrew to be potty trained already