Sunday, August 06, 2006

How to make Play Dough


I have made play dough for Nick before, and although at first it freaked him out a little bit and caused temper tantrums because 1 - it might be hot 2 - Steve poked his finger in it and "broke" it and 3- some fell on the ground and Gunther sniffed it, only Nick thought Gunther ate his toy... Although it has such a rocky begining, Nick has come to understand and appreciate play dough.

Yesterday I pulled out the play dough, which has been mushed into a purple-yellow mixture and which is easily 3 months old at this point. I let him play with it (which he did for a WHOLE HOUR, I might add) but I thought I would make him some NEW play dough. Some BLUE play dough It's not hard, and it doesn't take long.

Mix 1 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of salt and 2 tablespoons of Cream of Tartar. Mix it with 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons of food coloring, and 1 Cup of oil.

Wait, did I say one CUP of oil? I meant on Tablespoon.

Which is exactly what got me into trouble yesterday. As soon as I added the whole cup I realized I had made a mistake, but I attempted to remedy the situation by adding more flour, more water, more cream of tartar, and more salt. But honestly, I would have had to add a LOT more of all these to make it right.

To make matters worse, the play-dough was made with neon food coloring, giving the mess the exact shade I imagine Smurfs to be. If this WERE a smurf, his name would be Acne, the oily Smurf, because oil just POURS from it. I left it on the counter to dry out, hoping it would help and become usable, but within ten minutes oil had pooled out of it, dripped over the edge of the counter, and formed a puddle on the kitchen floor.

This morning I checked it again. Oil has stopped seeping from the pile of blue goo, but if you touch it or kneed it your hands are then coated in oil. It's like a rather oily moisturizer. It made me think of Palmolive, and how it used to claim to soften hands while you did dishes... only this is play dough, and not dishes.

Through out the entire production I kept thinking "Why don't I have a camera so I could share this with the world?"

2 comments:

Debs said...

Making playdough is great fun, although perhaps not when it turns out like that. At least that's something you won't forget in a hurry!
Have you seen the picture of me at Leight Delamere services on my blog? I decided we had to stop there on our way back from Exeter cos of the Thursday Next book!

Lou said...

Can I just tell you this is the funniest post ever. Acne the oily Smurf is pure genious. I bet he's friends with Jokey Smurf.