Sunday, August 27, 2006

Once Upon a Time


This weekend we went to Story Land.

I was prepared when we left the house, but I lost control about an hour into our trip. I looked back to check on the boys and realized that Nick would need a diaper change before long. So we stopped at a McDonald's. I changed Nick's diaper, and in the process managed to use every spare article of clothing I had packed for the both of us, and also half the wipes. The dirty stuff got wrapped in a blanket Nick had been sitting on and bunched up in the corner of our car for the rest of the trip


Story Land was a lot of fun. Nick was too small for some of the rides, but there were lots of things for smaller kids. We met the old woman in the shoe, and Mother Goose. We explored the Three Bears House. We visited a crazy scientist lab with colored spongy balls being shot out of cannons everywhere. We rode a train. We played on a pirate ship. We saw a castle and met a princess. Nick drove a tractor and a car. Nick also rode a merry-go-round and explored a sand maze, and afterwards played in the sand. We saw the three pigs and the billy goats gruff at the petting zoo. There was so much to do it was incredible. I can see us returning on a yearly basis.

The town was cute. I had forgotten to bring a book, and reading material was not to be found in the small country stores. But one lady told me to check the library. They have book sales, and the books are left on the porch. Then you put your money through the book slot in the front door. I payed two bucks for two really bad and old novels.

The hotel we stayed in was... ugh. Check in time was 3pm, but our room wasn't ready, so we waited, exhausted, with two hyper kids. The only room they had when they took our reservation had only one queen bed. We had to track someone down to get a crib. I tried using the jacuzzi tub but ended up just SPRAYING water everywhere, so I used four towels drying up, and then Nick came in, slipped and got soaked, and I had to use his one remaining shirt as PJs. This morning Nate woke up at 4am, and there was no putting him back to sleep. He woke us all up. Then at 6am he collapsed and went back to sleep. Nick, however, did no. His job was to watch TV and wake me up whenever it looked like I might actually be falling asleep.


Then we drove to the top of Mt. Washington. The last time I tried to do this they turned us away. A Saturn is NOT a safe car to drive when driving up and down this mountain. It has no low gear. The Hoda Odyssey made it fine. We got to the top and it was in the forties. The boys had no coats. It was cold. I took some pictures. Then we drove through a lot of traffice to get home.

And now we're here! I'll be posting photos from our trip during the next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love Storyland! We went there all the time when I was little and have so many fond memories. What a fabulous way to spend the weekend. It sounds like you all had a great time. Yes, you should definitely make it a yearly thing - I bet the boys will love it even more when they can start riding the big-kid rides. Let me know when you are going next year cuz I would love to go with you and lend a hand watching the kids!
And congrats to making it to the top of Mt. Wash.
Love you,
Jules

Anonymous said...

Ooooo! I love it! I thought I was living the billy goats gruff at the petting farm/zoo in NH when I visited you!

It looks fabulous!