Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Nine, Ten, A Big Fat...


Last night I slept like it was a competitive sport. And by that I mean that it was active. I was in and out of bed so many times I lost count. As soon as someone started crying I was out of bed. It was a throwback to the days when the boys were newborns and I would wake up as I was walking down the hallway. I would either feed (Nate) or console (Nick) the crying child, and then head back to sleep and quickly and quietly as I could, racing back to my warm bed so that I could get a few extra seconds of sleep before the next event.

It was during one of these half-asleep moment, while I was rocking Nathan, that I first heard the noise. It was coming from Nick's bed. In fact, it was coming from Nick. He was siting up, crying in a fake way, but each time he exhaled the crying noise was accompanied by a deeper, hollow sound. The sound of a cough without the coughing. The rest of the night I had dreams about needing to save my babies from vampires.

Nick is still not himself, although he isn't crying every two seconds (knock on wood). His nose is running, his eyes are glossy, and I already know he will not be making it to the first day of school tomorrow. I will have to go without him. (no, really, I need to bring in his diapers, his smock, his change of clothes, and the tuition check.) I don't know who will be more dissapointed, him or me. I'll bet it's me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you wouldn't & you couldn't & you absolutely shouldn't...but since you are taking all of his things there, maybe you should stay at Nick's school on his first day. It would be a break for you. But then who would take care of Nick & Nate?

Jamie said...

Remember when mom used to tell us that she played video games all day long while we were at school? I reckon the first two years of parenting warrant a little bit of that. get nick in school as soon as possible so we can have you on a regimented 4-hour tetris immersion course twice a week.

I hope he's feeling better.

Debs said...

I hope Nick's feelig better and that your 'first' day at school goes well. Remember, just don't look at the teeth and everything will go ok.