Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Loving the skin I'm in


What do people use on their faces?

I'm not talking about make-up. That's a whole different story. I myself am still using techniques that my friend Larissa showed me from a magazine in the late 80's. But it seems to work, so...

No, what I'm talking about is a skin regimen.

I have spent years wading through different products and different brands and wondering exactly what it was that each one DID. I still don't know, to tell you the truth. Toner? What IS that? Anyway, after years of experimenting, I finally saw part of a Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and this one "Queer Guy" was telling a "Stright Guy" that he absolutely HAD to have a skin regimen. EVERYONE should have a skin regimen. Women knoew this, but this Straight Guy, he had to be told.

I immediately went to Wal-Mart and purchased a number of skin products, not wanting to be left behind in this world of women.

I have settled on Olay prducts. First of all, I am pretty sure I saw my sister use these products at one point. Second, they are not too expensive (less expensive than the Clinique stuff I used to get - although I still feel silly buying them.) Lastly, their advertizing worked, the brand name is seared into my brain.

But this weekend, while getting my facial, SANDRA told me a few things. 1 - I have sun damage (I knew that.) 2 - My skin is dry and sensitive. (Really? Because I would have said oily....) and then she told me 3 - Olay products are not good, and they irritate sensitive skin such as mine. I would do better off with a "professional product" or even with a product called Neveablahblah (can't remember) that I can find at the mall...

The product they sell at this place is Murad. I have been to their website. I am frightened. I can not see myself EVER spending $60 on less than two ounces of face cream. Besides, these people promote supplements and celulite products as though they were actually real and working products. And I still say that if these things were real, EVERYONE would be using them.

So what do people thing? What do people use? Not that this is life or death or anything, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that thinks the cost is outrageous, and that I can stick with Olay, despite the "irritation" on my skin?

5 comments:

LARISSA said...

I would suggest going to a sephora, if there is one near you. They are great and give you free samples of this ridiculously expensive stuff so that you can try it before you buy it and set up your skin regimen. The stuff they sell that i use is Philosophy. Not cheap, but not cost prohibitive either...

Anonymous said...

Try some of the Nivea Visage products. They are very reasonable & work very well (for me). Also there is Aqua Sensation (a GREAT souffle-like moisturiser that I just keep in the fridge -- soooo coool on a hot day) that your Mom can pick up in France (they don't sell it here). But the other products are good too. I use about 3 of them. Their website can help you choose. You check off answers to questions & they recommend products. So far every one I've bought costs between $8 & $12.

Anonymous said...

I have very dry and sensitive skin and I use Cetaphil gentle cleansing lotion to wash my face morning and evening. You can get this anywhere (supermarket, CVS, Duane Read, Rite-Aide, etc.).Costs about $8-$10 for 20 oz. and lasts a long time. Your face will feel clean without pulling or tightness and very soothing for sensitive skin. Then use moisturizer/day/night cream.

Love this picture!!!! Looking very French and Adorable!!!

Jamie said...

So there are these hill tribe women i see all the time in Northern Thailand and they wear this face cream that they don't rub in. It's a paste made out of bark from a tree and it ends up looking kinda yellow. Now of course, this is all really weird sounding, but then again, Thai people always tell me I look not a day younger than 35 and generally speaking, most Thai people I've met are much older than they look.

Anonymous said...

Don't use Cetaphil. It contains sodium laurel sulfate which is terrible for you. Anne-E/