Monday, July 31, 2006

Caffeine Free

I require a certain amount of caffeine to make it through the day.

When I was pregnant - both times - I tried giving up caffeine, but it didn't worked. I failed horribly. So I decided to limit the amount of caffeine I took in, instead. One soda a day. Two tops. And some chocolate. Maybe.

When the babies were being mostly breastfed, I also tried to limit caffeine intake. Mostly because I didn't want to keep the babies UP at night, but also because I didn't want any precious sleep time I had to be wasted in TRYING to fall asleep.

Now that Nathan is drinking more formula and eating mushy "food" from a jar I have stopped paying attention to how much soda I have been drinking. All I know is, it's a lot. A lot a lot. All of it loaded with chemicals designed to make me feel good and alert. And for the past few nights I have been up until at least 11pm (I know, early for most, but late for me) watching TV and wondering WHY oh WHY I didn't feel sleepy. It's also making me VERY irritable. That's right - every little thing anyone says makes me want to crumple them up like a scrap sheet of paper and stuff them in the trash can. Awake but tired, wired but irritable... not a pretty picture.

So that's it. I must now go back and wipe the slate clean. One soda per day. Maybe two. Go back to drinking more water. Juice, maybe. Maybe even milk. It will be hard. Detox is always hard... but I hate string up at the ceiling and wondering if I'll be tired the next day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that cutting out all caffeine will cause headaches, right? So, don't cut it out; cut back!!!

Debs said...

If it helps, my family have banned me from taking tablets that are paracetamol with caffeine - they made me go all hyperactive! But then I'm not really a tea or coffee drinker. I'd rather have chocolate anyday!