Thursday, July 27, 2006

Boy Growing

Everyday one of the kids does something to surprise me.

Nicholas's vocabulary is out of control. Remember the little Nicholas Glossary I printed awhile back? Dat = cat, guk = book, guk = milk, etc? Well it's a bit out of date. It's VERY out of date, in fact. It is SO out of date that I can't even create a corrected version. I need a whole new system to explain the breadth of his vocabulary and how many words the kid knows. He has told many people, including people we met randomly at the town beach yesterday, about his trip to the amusement park, his nightmare, the dog bite, and how his daddy goes on a tractor. He now tells me what he wants to eat, what he wants to wear, and where he wants to sit in the car (never mind that he always ends up in the carseat, he's sure that one of these days I will let him drive.) He is now able to tell me about basic emotions, both for himself and other people. Gunther mad? Boy scared? Mommy funny? Nay Nay wants a nap? And this morning he looked me straight in the eye and said "Boy growing?"

Nathan is also growing and developing. He has his 6 month checkup today, so I'll find out how heavy he actually is and can modify my workout as necessary. But Nathan has also taken recent developmental leaps. For one thing, he is mobile. He doesn't know how, but he can get himself clear across the room by rolling or twirling on his tummy. If I sit him up, he can stay that way for a while. He can even pull himself into a standing position, and I've let him support himself at one of the play tables we have, putting pillows all around in case he falls. I've now officially started giving him teething biscuits, which he just mushes up and spreads around the play yard or the blanket or the carseat... but it keeps him quiet. This morning I tried a sip cup for the first time - a brand new beginner's one. Nick was jealous that Nate got the cute cup. But Nathan didn't seem to care, anyway. He sucked it for a minute or two and then shouted very loudly that he preferred a bottle. And a few days ago Nathan began babbling. Not the cooing, but honest to goodness "DadadadababababBAbabBA!" Nick never really did that, and it's so funny to hear when you're in the middle of a conversation!

Anyway, enough for today. We're looking into getting a new camera, so perhaps new pictures will return soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm crying! Boy growing... breaking my heart. I love your words, Fween. I like to think of you getting time to just do a puzzle with your sister and laugh. I miss you.

mo

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»