Sunday, July 30, 2006

This is Not a Repeat

Yesterday afternoon, after my glorious facial and massage, after a long late afternoon nap, as we were watching our 4:30pm TV program and I was gearing up for starting our dinner / bath / bad routine... I accidentally dislocated Nick's elbow. Again.

I didn't do it on purpose. I've actually been quite careful to hold him by the upper part of his arm if I'm trying to guide him to a place he may not want to go, and I have stopped lifting him by his arms... It's just that, in this case... he was behind me, on the ottoman, and I was on the floor with Nathan in my lap. And Nick was kicking me in the back of the head, laughing gleefully, and either not hearing or not listening to my requests for h im to stop. So I reached behind me to pull him OFF the ottoman... and apparently I pulled on his arm.

He's better. Three seconds after the doctor squeezed it back into place he was using his arm again and shouting out numbers (one! two! SixSevenEight!) So he didn't evenget X-rays this time. Which is great.

But for crying out loud, it isn't fair. If I send my child to the emergency room I should at least get the luxury of being negligent or loosing my temper. If I remain cool headed and attentive and feed them and clothe them and do their laundry and pick up their toys and make Nick hold my hand when we cross the street, then this sort of thing shouldn't happen. Right? RIGHT? I mean, I simply do not know how to discipline a two year old without touching him or moving him occasionally against his will. It's just not possible. Otherwise he's spend 24 hours a day in front of the TV or in the driver's seat of the car.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a couple of smacks on the fanny might encourage Nick to listen and obey when his mom speaks. It's better than dislocating an arm.

xoxoxoxo jean the mom

Jamie said...

Maybe he's not getting enough calcium or something. His joints aren't supposed to be like that K'nex building set. But on the other hand, maybe mom's got a point. Sounds like bad luck!

Kathleen said...

Even if I WERE to decide to spank Nick, I would have had to get him off the ottoman first. I would have been hitting a kid with a dislocated arm.

Anonymous said...

O, wait til I get there -- I'll beat everyone!