Monday, July 17, 2006

Mama don't take my digital camera...

Yesterday morning I discovered my bag and my mother's bag on the back steps, the contents - including credit cards, passports, and baby diapers - strewn in the dirt. Apparently, with people coming and going at night, we were not as careful as we needed to be about security. Here's a nice bit of information - just because you are in the house and awake doesn't mean someone won't enter your house and walk around it until you fall asleep.

Then the person that entered your house may take the cash from your wallet and toss your purse out the window. They will take the digital camera you left in your purse with all of your vacation photos on it. They will take your father's laptop - how they missed this one is a huge mystery. And they will instill in you a feeling of helpless ness, frustration, and creepiness because, really, how long were they IN this house before the took off? Was I awake? Alseep? Did they open the door to my bedroom and see me and my children sleeping?

We are now locking all doors, including some internal doors. We are then shutting the keys up in drawers and locking THOSE drawers, and then sleeping with those keys sewn into the hems of our nightclothes. OK, fine, maybe nothing THAT extreme, but you get my drift. It's really easy to let one's guard down, especially on vacation. And that camera... that's how I got most of the pictured onto this blog. Not to mention the safety of my babies.

2 comments:

Debs said...

Oh no, that's dreadful. I'm glad that you are all safe. I guess that's the most important thing, although it's still really horrid.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, locking the doors! What a concept. I would never have thought of that! You are geniuses! I might even give it a try here in NYC.

Every year the security of the house is breached. I think locking the doors should be second nature by now.