Sunday, July 02, 2006

Fates Conspire


Last night, as Steve and I watched KING KONG, an awful noise came over the baby monitor. It was a rough, rasping sound. A cough. Nick coughing, actually.

This morning he sounds even worse. HE isn't coughing a lot, and by that I mean he isn't coughing too often. So it's easy to forget about it. But as he threw his morning temper tantrum when I actually had the gall to try and change his soggy diaper, he began making this other sound... whenever he inhaled he would make what sounded like a... like a honk, almost.

I am pleading with him to drink his juice, which I secretly laced with vitamins and Tylonol Cough medicine. I made sure he was wearing sweatpants as the air was chilly this morning. And I am considering enforcing a longer nap time, which may prove inconvenient and impossible. And I am trying to put some space between him and his brother.

But Nicholas needs to get better because we leave on vacation next Saturday. We have no passport for Nate. I can't pack more than 3 items at a time. I have a billion things I promised myself I would do before we go. But we will be leaving. Somehow. Even if I have to give him cough medicine as we get on the plane. Even if he's miserable on the trip over.

I need him to get well.

If anyone hasn't seen King Kong yet but was thinking about it... it is 3 hours long. I have no patience for movies that are 3 hours long when there are scenes and parts of scenes that could so obviously have been cut out. And some movies can make you forget how long they are because they are so engaging. This is not one of those movies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, get some pediatric nose drops and get them into him before taking off and landing on that flight. It will keep him from having an ear-ache--maybe. And, of course don't forget a sippy cup to try to keep him swallowing. I'm imploring the childhood illness gods to get him better before the start of the trip.Your bedroom is all set up, the sea beckons and the sun is shining. jean the mom

Anonymous said...

Stuff him full of medication -- do they make Baby Nyquil?? -- before you get on the plane & pray he sleeps through the flight!!!

As for King Kong, not on my list at all. I always favoured Mighty Joe Young!

Anonymous said...

Definitely listen to yo momma about the drops and the sippy cup. This worked for my son when he was litte. And if Nick isn't better by the time you get to France -- the salty water of the Mediteranean will cure it all!!! Have a WONDERFUL time.

I didn't think the new King Kong should have been three hours. I liked the old black and white version of years ago better.