Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sisyphus


Last night I had everything ready. Anything that I could do to prepare myself, I did. I did a load of wash and put it in the dryer before bed. I mixed a huge batch of formula. I was ready to go. Won't it be nice, I thought, when we wake up tomorrow and I won't have to rush to get these things done? I won't have to listen to the baby fuss while I make the formula, I can just mix it in the cereal! I can fold these clothes whenever I want! I have just given myself a the gift of time. How nice and relaxed it will be tomorrow.

And then Nate woke up every 2 hours - probably because of his cold. And Nick woke up screaming with a nightmare - twice. The first time I realized I was hungry, and since we ate a very early dinner the day before I went and got him a cracker and he went back to sleep. Then I heard some animal howl and I had to wander the house looking for Puck, who has spent a couple of nights outside by accident and now has a dore nose and ear. I found him, so he was fine. I also found some cat puke by stepping right in it. Then Nick woke for the second time and I just crawled into bed with him so I could get some sleep. But after a few minutes Nate woke up. I fed him, put him back to sleep... and creeped back to my own bed. But before sleep could really take hold, Nick began screaming again. So back to his bed. Nate woke up at 4:30am, and refused to go back to sleep. I tried nursing him, sleeping with him... he did his Karate Kid impression (Latch on, Latch off) and when I tried to just sleep he kicked me in the belly, scratched at me, and pulled my hair. He didn't mean to be mean, but COME ON!

And of course Nick slept until 6am for the first time in three weeks, but I couldn't take advantage because I had this Baby that wanted... what? What did he want? I have no earthly idea.

It never ends. As soon as I feel that I have accomplished something it needs to be done again. If I do dishes, there will be dishes waiting an hour later. Laundry? The same. I'll buy or cook food and it will be gone. I'll clean and it will get dirty. I change a diaper and an hour later will have to change it again. So today I'm asking myself WHAT IS THE POINT!

The good thing is, I was up so much last night that I only had time for ONE panic dream about Nate's passport.

5 comments:

Debs said...

Poor you. You can do it. I got to look after 4 delightful children yesterday and over night till this morning (aged 9,7,5,3). I just about managed to get them all to school in time for the oldest to go off on her school trip, but also managing to take them without any extra layers (and it's been showering on and off all day). I'm telling myself that cos it's soooo hot and yuckily humid that it's ok, but i'm still kicking myself over it.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you and Nick are so ugly. Hahaha. Gee whiz I want to eat you guys, you're so damn cute.

Love, Anne-E.

Anonymous said...

Darling, believe it or not, this, too, will pass. I'd turn the years back in a New York minute.

jean the mom

Lou said...

Karate Kid impression!! You are too funny.

Anonymous said...

O, who cares, look how cute the two of you are! No, no, no, I mean the part about who cares. It seems to be the woman's lot in life to do the Sisyphean things --pm duties: push rock up hill before bed. am duties: push rock up hill before bed.
Ad inifinitum. That is why the best kitchen magnet is in your mother's kitchen: Housework is evil and it must be stopped! But I don't know how to do it. So, just relax, soon you will be in France, the land of wine & cheese!