Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Fans! My Fans!

My mother lost the remote control to the ceiling fans in the living room.

First of all, my parents should never be given anything to operate that requires a remote. It's just asking for trouble. Once they left the downstairs TV on for a week because they couldn't find the remote to turn it off. They never thought of unplugging it. And sooner or later ALL remotes will be lost or misplaced or accidentally taken back to NY.

Not to mention the fact that ceiling fans just shouldn't have remotes. Put a switch on the wall - are we so lazy that we can't walk to the wall or pull a chain?

The remote went missing the day before we got here, and ever since we have been living... well... without ceiling fans. And we have been getting by.

But today, suddenly, my mother pointed out that ONE OF THE FANS WAS WORKING! That's right. One of the fans had, by itself, just started working. And so had the other. A thousand horror films streamed through my brain, as well as all the Stephen King short stories I have ever read, but I simply couldn't think of one where ceiling fans had come to life on their own. Cameras, cars, computers, yes, but not ceiling fans.

Then they stopped.

Then there were a few freaky beeping noises, and they started again.

Finally the electrician came and - get this - PUT A CHAIN on one of the fans! Hooray! But for some reason the other still won't work.

Anyway, that was the excitement for the day. We now have a working fan, which is cool (ha ha) and I am out of words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah tell me about it. I almost didn't marry you when I saw that wonderful 40 odd inch Pioneer (Diamond no less...made with special Japanese love!!!) RPTV back in Jersey all those years ago. Ohhh the burn in of AUX1 or whatever it was on those lovely RGB tubes. Saddened me to see that wonderful piece of kit branded like a cheap tattoo on the butt of a 17 year old trollop! I didn't want my kids to grow up with Button Incompetency. Luckilly, at least Nick is Button Competant. He won't have to go to Remote Control School with you and hopefully, Nate won't either. I still pray at night for them though. Are you sure that Nick didn't find yon remote and 'do the right thing' by turning them on? Now I know that you guys have the place set up like a fortress these days. Shutters closed with shotgun holes at every entry to protect from (ok I'm censoring myself here from derogatory remarks against the Frogs...er no I mean French and the Eastern Europeans/Gypsies...OH YEAH you can't actually have guns over there. I'm sure none of the 'bad guys' have them either!) AAAAAANYWAY. You slackers are missing out on some seriously wonderful heat back at home! The car showed 101 degrees today coming home from the office. It's so lovely that I can't describe it. For the record, I cleaned the house today for tomorrows impending visit.DAMN, I'm a hero.
-Trouble

Anonymous said...

Did you look under the chair cushions? Maybe someone is sitting on them & making them go on & off. If you do find them, why not nail them directly to the wall? Although now that I think of it, screw the electric fans. Hire a few young nubile boys to stand around with those big feathered fans that you see in old movies about the Bible & Egypt. They are hard to lose, easy to turn on & off, easy to move & you can rent them out when no one is there! And when you leave the living room, you can each take one to your respective bedrooms.