Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Foot and Mouth

Remember that episonde ot Little House on the Prairie when one of the children had Scarlet Fever, only then it turned out it was actually Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease?

Yeah, I thought not. Because things like that only happen in real life.

Nick has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. I know, I know, it sounds like an illness that many guys I've dated has suffered from, a social illness that affects the filter of the brain, ensuring that the victim keeps saying inappropriate things, or sticking one's foot in one's mouth. But it isn't that. Nor it is Foot and Mouth, or Mad Cow, or anything like that.

The closest thing I can think of is Chicken Pox. Nick now has blisters on his hands, his feet, and - oh yeah, his mouth. It's contagious like Chicken Pox. Only Chicken Pox now has it's very own vaccination because apparently it was SOOO DANGEROUS and we just didn't know it when we were kids and people exposed their kids to it to get it over with.

I took him to the doctor, who told us to give him Tylonol if his fever comes back, and also not to feed him certain foods. He then listed off every single item I had fed Nicholas since this ordeal began, making me wish I could dig a hole in the floor of the examination room, crawl into it, and make Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease go away. Especially since it sounds made up. Made up my some kid with very little imagination.

For the record, Nicholas is fine now. The fever is gone. He's jumping around and absolutely frustrated by the fact that I won't let him go anywhere or share any toys with Nathan. It's just that he might still pass it on. And since we have a few ideas where he might have contracted this illness but all over them are very far fetched, I'm reluctant to bring him to places where he might see other kids, touch other people, touch things that other people might one day touch...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hand-foot-mouth disease is usually caused by a virus called coxsackievirus A16. However, many children with coxsackievirus A16 infections do not have all of the features of hand-foot-mouth disease. Some have no rash, some have no mouth sores, and some even have no fever. A variety of other viruses in the Enterovirus family can also cause hand-foot-mouth disease (the coxsackieviruses are enteroviruses).

Jamie said...

that's really intense. Fever blisters in the mouth, that sounds painful. I hope big guy's doin alright now.