Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Aftermath



Halloween is over. You'd never know it from looking at hour place, though. The costumes are still out, Halloween stuff is everywhere, and we have SO MUCH CANDY! I need tobuy a storage bin for most of the stuff, and the candy... here's my plan:

Nick ate a lot of candy on the 31st. I didn't think it was too much, but the next day he had tummy troubles, and then a resulting diaper rash, and so I didn't offer him any candy. In fact, he hasn't eaten any since Halloween AT ALL. Yeah, we haven't given it to him, but you know what? HE HASN"T ASKED! I didn't hide it. I put it on top of the fridge. It's plainly visible. In fact, more than a few times I get startled, thinking Frank (a cat, not a person) is up there, but no, anyone can see it's that jack-o-lantern bucket filled with CANDY! Even Nick can see it from across the room.

The potty training thing is a stop-and-go project. I don't thnk it's right to have screaming battles over using the potty, so when he starts screaming NO! no! NO! I usually say "OK." And when he does sit, it's for about 2 seconds and nothing ever happens. And even though it would have been nice, since he has that rash and all, I think asking him to make it to the potty every single time in light of his recent tummy issues was a bit much.

But I plan... ahem... My plan is to bribe him.

I'm not going to formally announce anything. (AT least to him.) But every time he goes in the potty, I will give him one SMALL piece of CANDY. I'm just trying to make it something he WANTS to do. Because as of now, he really couldn't care less. I know I'm setting myself up and I may have some explaining to do should he ever ask for candy at school, but still... I somehow think this might put us on the right road...

Thoughts?


Also, Jamie was here, and now he's gone. I miss him, and not just because he did the dishes and watched the boys while I took a shower. WE LOVE YOU, JAMIE! Come back whenever.

5 comments:

Debs said...

I've never had to deal with the whole potty training thing, but the other day I was reading the blog of a woman with 8 kids and she was talking about potty training no.7 and feeling admitted to using candy, and even suggestions of how - here's the link http://inashoe.blogspot.com/2006/11/wfmw-potty-update.html

Good Luck!

Marnie said...

(Hi, total stranger here ...) I have no personal experience either, but friends have used candy and it worked out fine. Eventually they stopped the rewards without repercussion.

Colour me stupid, but I can't figure out what Nick's Halloween costume is -- ?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't have this thing worked out as yet since I don't have any kids...but you give him candy WHILE he's on the potty? When he says he wants the potty? AFTER he's used the potty? Any or all of the above?

As for Jamie: No! No! No! Jamie stays here! He has to go to the movies with ME!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!!

Kathleen said...

Marnie - He's a monkey. That thing on his head? It's half a bananna.

And Linda - ideally he'd get the candy after he USES the potty, and uses it correctly. 24 hours later he's gotten ZERO candy. But he has peed on the floor.

Marnie said...

Oh, that's half a banana. Thanks! Good luck with the training process. He'll catch on sooner or later, I'm sure.