Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Point of no return


Lillian took a family photo last year as we decorated the Christmas tree. The picture is typical. Impish looking Nick, a disheveled Steve, and a very pregnant me. Somehow Frank also made it into the picture, perched on the arm of the chair we all shared, and closer to the camera than the rest of us so he looks five times his actual size, as though we've adopted some wild breed of mountain cat.

Nicholas likes to pick up this pictures and point out everyone in it. "Look, Mommy! It's me! It's You! It's Daddy! It's Frank!" Recently he's also started asking "Where's Nate?" as though he's genuinely confused at how we forgot to include his brother. I pointed out my huge belly and said "Remember when Nathan was in my belly? Before he was born he was in my belly." Nick gave me the same look he gives me when I tell him we're having brussel sprouts for dinner. You know, the look that says "you're so silly!"

Yesterday we were in the living room, and Nate was being his usual self, tagging along after Nicholas, trying to play with / drool over everything Nich was playing with at that moment. I was trying to read a book. Finally Nicholas dragged me out of my fictional world, tugging on my pant leg. "Mommy!" he was saying. "Mommy, put Nathan in your Belly!"

2 comments:

Debs said...

Sometimes you just need to tidy up little brothers for a while! Not that I have a little brother, so I wouldn't really know :-)
How sweet :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. If only I had thought of that for Emily and Jamie. My life would have been so different. Hahahaha.

Love,

Anne-E.