Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Gigantic Snowball Picking Up Speed As It Races Towards Me - That's Christmas.


Thanksgiving is over. I expected this to being some measure of relaxation and relief, at least for a day or two before the Christmas Stress - I mean Spirit - gently grips my brain in it's talons.

Instead, I am just nervous. We are getting our kitchen floor redone, you see. It kind of had to happen, since the existing floor is peeling up at the edges and actually trips people at times. St eve and I picked out a tile, and some guys who know what they are doing are coming by in December to install it. They told us it should take about a week and a half.

That's a week and a half with no kitchen. No downstairs bathroom. No stove or oven. No washer or drier. We need to unhook the toilet and sink and move them out. We need to unhook the washer and the drier and find a place for them. We need to wheel the fridge into the dining room. We need to get the rest of the furniture out of there, too. For two weeks we'll have to eat and cook in the dining room. We'll have no ability to do laundry. Our lives will be squashes and confused and probably loud and noisy.

Not to mention the fact that I, Ghost of Christmas Organized, have not done even half of my holiday shopping, which just makes me want to cry.

now I'm over-reacting. I know I will survive this floor thing. But still... I'm sure there will be moments when I consider sending out the workmen and just living with a gigantic unfinished floor, just so that I can get my downstairs back.


Also - WHAT DOES EVERYONE WANT FOR CHRISTMAS?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do I want for Christmas? I want you to come stay with us! We can make another Crimson Pie together & I will bake some more loaves of bread too!

Debs said...

We're having our roof redone - it the week before Christmas. It's supposed to take 5 days, and that's how long they'll have, cos then it's the weekend and then it's Christmas. So we're just hoping it really does only take a week! So instead of starting out Christmas shopping yesterday we were up in the loft trying to begin the huge task of emptying out all the stuff that has gathered in there other the years. We found some baby shoes yesterday that we think belonged to HP - who is nearly 20! There's also a playpen, moses basket and much much more. Plus, lots of dust so now i'm sneezing muchly too.
So, I guess I'm saying you have our symmpathy on the no kitchen thing. Just remember, don't panic!
Oh, and for Christmas - I just want lots of exciting installments of all the cool stuff you're doing :-)