Friday, November 17, 2006

The Sweetest Thing



Yesterday something was wrong with the server and absolutely NO internet was available, which is why I didn't post. But I would have posted something like this:

A lot of people ask how close in age Nicholas and Nathan are. I know they are close. A lot of people roll their eyes or express admiration or ask me how long I plan to wait before #3. (GO AWAY, #3 ASKING PEOPLE!) The way some people look at me, I know they think I am crazy for attempting this, and I immediately want to tell them about the crazy people in Arkansas who have 17 children and home school their kids and teach them violin themselves via suzuki method. BESIDES, I happen to know a whole lot of people with children even CLOSER IN AGE.

I know Nick and Nate are close, and there are challenges. I run around like crazy. I have to cut up food into two different sizes. Nothing that is age appropriate for one kid is age appropriate for the other. But there are upsides. For one thing, Nick is acting out and getting a bit jealous these days. But it's OK, because Nate isn't so tiny and is no longer attached to me via suction. Also, in a pinch they can wear the same size diapers. Hey! Lucky for me!

But the best thing about having kids this close in age is that they play with each other. Sure, they fight over toys and Nate gets in Nick's way and Nick has a tendancy to hit Nate over the head with whatever he happens to be holding... but sometimes... The past couple of mornings I can hear them laughing and playing together in their room as I wake up. Nick climbs into the crib with Nate and brings in a couple of toys. They jump up and down on the matress. Nathan laughs at his brother's funny antics. Nick tells Nate what he can and can't play with. "No, Nate! That milk is Yucky! Take this one!"

So there. I think that's worth the trouble.

No comments: