Saturday, November 18, 2006

Riddle Me This



This morning I woke up feeling cold-ish. So after Nathan's morning nap I packed the kids up in the car and stopped by the drug store to pick up some cold medicine - the kind that will actually make me cough. While we were there I picked up a children's version of the same medicine for Nick.
We then went to Dunkin Donuts where we went in and I got two bags of ground coffee and a chocolate donut. Nick then asked if we could sit at one of the tables to eat the donut. We did.
We then drove to the post office where I dropped our Netflix movie in the mailbox, and then we drove to the gas station to fill up the car before heading home.

Once home Nick asked if he could ride his bike. Nate didn't have shoes though, so I said we had to go in, do diapers, put on Nate's shoes, and then go back out. Once inside, however, I couldn't locate Nate's shoes. I went to all the usual places. The downstairs bathroom, the boys' bathroom, the boys' room... nothing. No luck. I then went downstairs and put away the coffee. I then realized the only item on the counter in front of me was the children's version of the cough medicine.

I knew I had the grown-up kind in the bag when we left the store. I knew we'd paid for it. I looked in the car. I looked under the seat. Nothing. I checked my pockets. Nothing. I went into the Living Room and found Nate's sneakers. Great. But no medicine. I went back into every place I had looked for Nate's sneakers. But I simply couldn't find the medicine. I checked the trash, thinking I might have thrown it away. I checked the basket of diapers, thinking I might have just tossed it in. Still nothing. I knew it existed... or had I dreamed it all up? Had I mailed it along with the Netflix movie? Had I somehow left it at the gas station? At this point I was crying because the cough medicine was the whole reason I had left the house. Nick was off the wall throwing toys into the air. Nate still had his jacket on because I had thought we would be going back outside.

Finally I found the medicine. It was in my bedroom, which I don't even remember going into. But apparently I must have, because there it was on my nightstand, in it's original packaging, just waiting to be took. Needless to say we did not go outside. We stayed in, had lunch, and then I sat with the boys for an hour and fifteen minutes before they fell asleep for nap. Then I got a good 10 minutes before the dog started barking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo, ooo, ooo, pauvrecito! You are sick! Or about to be. That's why you were so upset when you couldn't find the big-person medicine. It happens when you get run down & are about to really get the bug. I'm glad you did find it, because you may have just started it in time to prevent the cooties from really settling in. You take that medicine & plenty of of liquids & get better soon!

Jamie said...

drown it out with lots of room temperature water. i just got over something like what you're describing and it sucked. this is a great shot of nate by the way