Friday, November 24, 2006

Menu of the Ages

Yesterday was the very first Thanksgiving I have ever EVER spent without my family. So it was kind of bittersweet. I was afraid I would be all emotional and as the day approached I found myself gearing up, determined that Lillian, my poor mother in law, was attempting to sabotage my meal and rob my dishes of their spices and flavor. Especially when she called and we decided she would bring the mashed potatoes.

Needless to say, I was wrong. She did bring the mashed potates, and squash, and cooked carrots. But it was very helpful and non sabotage-like. And as much as I missed my family, I was far too busy to get emotional.

But I had the chance to make Everything Else.

Here's what I made - and those of you (Mom, Linda) who are horrified by anyone using prepackaged lemon juice or pre-ground pepper just because it's easier. horrified because it won't taste as good, horrified by shortcuts, just skip down to the photos, OK?

TURKEY - the turkey was done two hours earlier than we thought it would be. It was 21 pounds and done in 4 hours. Probably because we had planned on having it done early just in case. If we had planned on having it done just moments before sitting down, it would have been 3 hours late.

STUFFING - My mother always makes her dressing from scratch, choping celery and stuffing the turkey. I left the Turkey unstuffed and used three boxes of Stove Top. IT WAS GREAT!

TURNIPS - I LIKE the turnips!

GREEN BEANS - I make these with balsamic and I can make them in my sleep.

CRANBERRY SAUCE - Again, mom makes this from scratch. I used canned ocean spray.


APPLE PIE - need I say more?

CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE - First cheesecake I ever made. It turned out OK, but I've decided I don't like pumpkin.

SPICY CHOCOLATE COOKIES - I use cayenne pepper

CRIMSON PIE - This is my favorite pie ever. I made the crust from scratch, boiled the berries, cooled them, filled the pie crust, and made it look really pretty... here's a picture:



Yeah. I was pretty upset. But I guess we can wait until Christmas dinner for the crimson pie. I got good feedback from the one 'person' who tasted it.



And now.... on to the next thing.

5 comments:

Pig wot flies said...

oh, poor pir. Still, sounds like you had lots of other yummy stuff.

Pig wot flies said...

I mean pie. Oh dear, I'm sleepy.

Debs said...

Looks like he enjoyed it. And you can tell it must have looked good before it fell (or was it pushed...?)

Jamie said...

this is CLASSIC! I'm calling you right now.

Anonymous said...

I knew there would be a picture!!!! I love it! by the way, the Crimson Pie I was making when you called to tell me about yours turned out fine. We still have half so if you come on down, you can have it! We had too much of everything...except you!
x0x0x0x0x0x

PS I made bread -- 2 loaves from scratch & it turned out fine!!!