Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Attack of the Wakey Wakeys

Well, blogger is not letting me upload a photo today.... or maybe each of my attempts has secretly somehow been successful, in which case you might see 5 identical pictures of Nick crying and two pictures of the boys from last year.

Every once and awhile, one of the boys gets what I like to think of as the WAKEY WAKEYS. This is when a child wakes up frequesntley during the night FOR NO APPARENT REASON. By that I mean they wake up more than three times, and it's not a nightmare, not a cold, not obvious tummy trouble, although they might possibly be a little congested or they might possibly have some gas or something. But nothing ever really gets resolved.

The night before last, Nicholas had the Wakey Wakeys. I swear I was up seven or eight times, and deprived of enough sleep to forget that I'm the mother and that I'm supposed to comfort him, and instead woke each time with an increasingly strong notion that he was doing it on purpose to torment me. After all, once I got to him, there appeared to be little I could do. He wouldn't sit up. He wouldn't tell me what was wrong. He looked fine. His bed was dry. I even changed his diaper and he was fine. He was just making that ncredibly annoying "heh heh heh heh heh" sound that says "Please find out what's wrong so I stop making this sound, or some passser-by might bash my head in with a rock." Near 4am I was dashing in there and whishpering "If you wake up your brother then YOU will be the one to put him back to sleep!"

Which explains, to some extent, the irritable and depressed mood I was in yesterday.

Well, guess what? Last night, Nathan had the Wakey Wakeys. Again, no apparent reason for the discomfort or distress or the apparent urge to torture Mom. It got to the point where he was crying before I could leave the room. But there was nothing I could do. He was just a fuss bucket.

Yesterday I skipped my workout to nap, but I am reluctant to do it two days in a row, despite being so tired I could... well, take a nap. Besides, who knows when this trend might end? Since the boys are taking turns and have naps scheduled into their days instead of five mile runs they are much better equipped to keep this up than I am.

3 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

I understand the Wakey Wakeys! Just the other day, I got up for the fifteenth time and looked at my husband and whispered that I was going to knock my child out. LOL. I didn't but an exhausted mommy is no fun for anyone.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

:-( Wish I were there to help you out.

Jamie said...

maybe during the day you should enforce a thorough exercise regime for the boys. Have them run twice as much on the treadmill as you do in half the amount of time. Then, maybe they'll beg for some sleep.