Friday, March 30, 2007

Joy of Grandparenting



Nicholas sometimes gets confused about extended family. This is hardly surprising. Steve's family, who we see more often, has many Great Aunts and Great Uncles, and many of his father's cousins, but everyone is introduced as "Aunt" or "Uncle." There are only a couple of children, by Steve's cousin, and we have only seen them a few times.

On my sinde of the family Nick has many Aunts and Uncles, but he doesn't see them as often. There are also many friends of family that he sees just about as often as the real family, and it starts to get confusing after awhile, too.

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment - just a check up - and Lillian came to watch the boys. When I returned I expected to find them as I always do, TV on, and eyes glazed over with the joy that is Grammy. But instead the TV was off. They had, apparently, spent the entire time playing "Airplane."

"Airplane" is a game where Nicholas makes everyone sit in their seats, fastens everyone's seat belts, and then talks everyone through a very short plane trip. "We're taking off! We're landing!"

"Tell your mother where we went on the plane!" Lillian urged Nick.

"New York!" He shouted.

Lillian obviously wasn't satisfied with the abreviated answer, and went on to add "We visited his Gramma Jean, and his Grampa Charlie - "

Nick shouted "And Gramma Linda!"

Linda - you've been promoted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap Linda, you're THAT old?!?!?
(snicker snicker snicker)

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Oooo, Nick, I love having you & Nathan as my "grandchildren"!!! You are the best!!!

Now as for you, you smarty-pants anonymous-person, step up & sign your name so I can punch you in the nose! But, yup, much to my chagrin, I am that old! My knees scream it every single time I squat down & try to spring right back up -- the spring seems to be sprung!