Monday, March 19, 2007

Theory of Spreadability



When we were kids I can remember my father ranting in desperation over little shreds of paper. His complaint was that, no matter where we kids were gathered, or what we were doing, somehow little bits of paper, like confetti, would somehow apear all over the floor.

This is related to two Theories that I have observed around my own house. The first is the Theory Of Random Items. This theory proposes that the number of random items scattered about a floor is increased twenty times per child using said floor. I am not talking about toys. I am talking about random items you do not expect to find scattered around your floor. Yesterday I glanced around and realized that my kitchen floor was decorated with fantasy novels, Steve's socks, dog bones, measuring spoons, funnels, BB Gun pellets, a plastic bag, a toothbrush, a few pull-ups, a pair of underwear, a backpack with Nemo on it, an empty jewelry box, a thank you note from last year, and a copy of a book about toilet training your child.

This theory is kind of related to the Theory of Spreadability, which states that, even if you put all of the toys in a bin or a basket, they will seem to leap out on their own and spread themselves around the floor, creeping under furniture.

WHy has no one discussed or discovered these before now?

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Every theory must have some bright scientific-type behind it. In this case, it's you! You have written down your hypothesis & set it out for the world to test. I know it will come back to you in the form of a Ma-bel Prize (that's the Nobel Prize specifically for Mommies)!!