Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Surfin' In My Imagination



There is this kids song called "Surfin' In My Imagination" ('cause I won't get to go on a vacation, oooo eee oooo ooo ahhh!)

We actually ARE taking a vacation, provided I can figure out what to do with our pets. The trouble is, it's planned for late June. And June is far, far away. Too far. I just can't wait that long.

And I have no idea what I think I'm going to get out of it, besides sun and family and good food. Because I am taking my job with me. I'm hopful that by then getting the boys dressed in the morning will be less of a test on my patience. Right now getting Nathan dressed is a bit like putting eyeliner on a greased pig. He's not exactly fighting me, he's just trying to get away. He's not interested in me, he's interested in whatever is in that cabinet I won't let him open.

We saw the movie "Sherry Baby" the other night. Not an upper. It's about a drug addict who's on parole and who is trying to get reaquainted with her young daughter. But there is this one scene where she is trying to help her daughter change her clothes, her pants, her shoes... and the girl is standing there and the woman is saying "You have to help me. Lift your leg. Lift your leg. No, the other - wait. No - You have to HELP me. I can't do this by myself. You have to help me." And i TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD. Because that is me with Nicholas every morning. I hold out a pair of pants, and I expect him to put his foot in through the leg hole, and he half lifts his foot, and then puts it on the floor again, and then half lifts it, and then puts it back on the floor, and then he puts his foot in his pants but then puts his foot down before it gets to the leg hole, so the pants slip out of my hands, and then I lift the pants and try to guide his leg into the hole, and I look up and he's staring at the window and trying to reach some toy, and I redirect his attention to getting dressed. and then he grabs my head for balance, so that his whole thirty pounds is on my head as I pull up his pants, even though his feet, somehow, are still glued to the floor...

This will follow me on my vacation. It will still be there. Perhaps. Perhaps, perhaps perhaps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But don't you remember, darling? In the south of France in June,clothes are not so important If. If two little boys are running around butt naked it won't matter. We're concealed from piblic view by walls and shrubbery. Besides, you'll have two grandmas, one grandpa and a slew of uncles and close friends on hand to help. It's really gonna be fun!