Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cabin Fever




This is a picture of New York. Well... part of it. It has nothing to do with this post. We had technical difficulties with the camera last week, so I didn't take as many pictures as usual.

Last night Steve and I watched a movie, and afterwards I tried to think but I just couldn't remember what day it was, or what day it would be the next morning.

When I first started my maternity leave I didn't think I could ever really get tired of it. Sure, I got tired, but that was lack of sleep tired. Or later on, it was pregnant tired. It was physical and mental. I enjoyed making my own schedule, being free to watch daytime TV, having time for my hobbies, and being there with my kids.

Here. Being here with my kids.

But the truth is, I'm starting to go a little batty. I make my own schedule, but it is just recycling the week before. I make time for hobbies and TV, but honestly most of that is done away from the kids, and there isn't a lot of time for it. And I love being with my kids... but...

After (almost) three years of being a mother, I find myself actually aching for a workplace. I would love to be responsible for doing something that didn't get undone practically before I finished doing it. I would like to be away from my kids for a few hours, to be surrounded by grown-ups and grown-up stories and grown-up issues.

I am not ready to hand over the care of my children to other people - especially Nate. But maybe, just maybe, in a year, I might be able to find something work-wise to keep me busy.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Where do you think? Monitor? Would you consider going into child care as a profession?

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I understand completely...but I also want to remind you that you may be using more of your mothering skills in the workplace than you think! There are a lot of 'babies' in the office, sharing is not always a priority & 'sibling' rivalry is rampant!!