Thursday, March 22, 2007

Nothing Slows Him Down


Nathan has an ear infection. This is the first time that both Nick and Nate are on antibiotics AT THE SAME TIME. Don't worry. The meds are different colors, so there is plenty for them to fight over.

It hasn't really slowed them down much, though. Nathan might sound like a lung will pop out of his throat at any moment, and he cries a bit more than usual, but he's still as impish as ever. He doesn't like to do what the rest of us are doing, but instead he heads towards my bathroom, where I know I will find him sitting on the floor with my eye liner.

I am really not a make-up person, but I do own eye liner, which I have taken to applying every day in an effort to look like a grown up, and a good looking grown up, not one of those grown ups strung out on meth. Nathan loves my eye liner. I'm glad someone loves the eye liner, because I, for one, have always been a little afraid of it. I never know what I'm doing, and as the point approaches my face I know that I will inevitably end up either looking like a racoon, or poking myself in the eye.

Nathan has no such fears. He stick the eye liner just where he wants it to go, in his mouth. Nicholas, for his part, does the same thing with my colored lip balm (which I use instead of lipstick). He loves it. Oh, how he loves it.

When I was working in day care, the three year old boys loved pretending to put on make-up more than the girls. I know it is a natural part of pretending, processing gender roles, etc. I also happen to be one of those people that thinks a man should be allowed to wear eye shadow and lip liner if he wants. And a sequined dress. Go for it. As far as I'm concerned it's a big old bother, but if a man wants to go through the trouble to put on panty hose he should be allowed to wear them. And then he can show me how to put them on without running them. But it's different somehow when you're looking at your own children. There is still a very strong voice in my head that wants me to say "MAKE-UP IS FOR GIRLS!" and snatch it all away.

As of yet, I have not. Yelled. I have snatched, simply because I don't want my stuff to get ruined. I HAVE said "Usually Girls are the ones that wear make-up, but you're too little for it, anyway."

But my favorite line, the one I love and will keep repeating when it comes to things like make-up, jewelry, hairstyles, and clothing: When you get to be 18 and become a famous rock star, then you get to wear all the make-up you want.

6 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ahh, you are a wise Mommy indeed.

LARISSA said...

can nathan in fact put a whole cupcake in his mouth?

Kathleen said...

Can you see him, seventeen years from now? Nathan, the rockstar, fully grown, eyeliner perfect, and a whole cupcake in his mouth.

among the savages said...

I just drove a pal to the store and when she didn't like the way her belt was hanging she just strung it around her neck and it looked great. If a guy puts a belt around his neck they lock him up and make him go into therapy.
I suggest you ask tell the boys if they're gonna wear eyeliner then they're gonna have to go into therapy and that therapy is worse than daycare.

flash103 said...

And then if they say they want to go into therapy you can say ok but that you just got word from the people at therapy that they are no long accepting people who wear eyeliner... and that there is a long waiting list anyway.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Is Nathan learning to eat from Nicholas?