Friday, February 09, 2007

Books - sometimes helpful, sometimes not

When Nicholas was eight months old I dragged my sleepy self to the bookstore and purchased two books on How to Get Your Infant To Sleep.

When I was pregnant, a few mothers had recommended a couple of books, and I had silently scoffed. "Sleep is NATURAL," I thought. I mean, seriously, how hard could it be. Even my mother assured me that when a baby needs to sleep, they sleep. But after months of twenty minute naps and getting up more than 6 times a night, I was desperate. "When does he nap?" people would ask, and I would just cry. NEVER! NEVER! He NEVER NAPS! He just SHUTS HIS EYES UNTIL I WALK AWAY!

Anyway, I purchased two books with entirely opposing philosophies, started a Sleep Journal, Actually established goals, and in a few months he was only waking up once or twice a night. Which was a big fat improvement. When Nate came along I felt much more confident, and even though he still gets up at night sometimes, it's not a problem. Last night, no one wole up at all!

So when it was time to start thinking about Potty Training, I went and purchased two books. "These books will hold the answer!" I thought. "They will tell me what to do!" You know what the books taught me? NOTHING! Two books, full of absolutely everything I already knew. You know what? They aren't helpful at all.

Because when it comes right down to it, teaching a kid to use the toilet is completely out of my control. It has to be HIS decision. HE HAS TO DO IT! And I get the role of standing by, making sure the opportunity is there, all the time, cleaning up the mess, and not being upset by it. Basically, what both books said was this: SUCK IT UP! He'll go when he's ready.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

i know you've probably thought of everything already, but could you present him with any sort of ultimatum to make him get used to the idea? i know he's not really consequence oriented yet, but is there anything at all?