Sunday, February 04, 2007

Seeking Your Opinion

When Nicholas was 4 months old we took him furniture shopping so that we could get some chairs. It was that trip, the one where I was carrying him around in a front facing baby carrier, that I fell in love with this kitchen hutch. Since then, we found many reasons to return to this particular furniture store. A kitchen table, bedroom furniture for Nick, boredom... and each time I went to check out this hutch.

A couple of weekends ago, before we all got sick, I headed off and bought the darn thing. I figured if a person can keep a kitchen hutch on her mind for over two years, she deserves to have it. Plus, we had that blank wall in our kitchen where nothing WAS.

Here's a picture of the Hutch - as you can see, Puck gave me his approval right away.


Here's a picture of the hutch three days later - see how quickly the thing filled up?


The thing is, I'm not crazy - nor have I ever really been, about that China thing on top, where you're supposed to display your china. I much prefer keeping my china in a dust-proof container so that I don't have to wash it before I use it. Also, doesn't it look funny? Steve doesn't like it, either. I knew this was an issue I'd have to deal with, but I thought I could store other things there... so, what I'd like to know is, what do YOU think? CHINA:


Or a mix-it-up of glass chargers, platters, and serving plates that will fit:

8 comments:

Debs said...

You could always go for something totally different like magazines(!), although that might detract from the rest of it. Hmmm, I'll have a think and get back to you!

Jamie said...

I'm not exactly sure why, but this entry made me laugh out loud. it's like you rearrangeed the china cabinet with magic poofs. And i like it! all of the combinations that is. I'm so helpful.

LARISSA said...

I like the china. Great piece altogether!

Anonymous said...

us odd sizes look a little clI like the china plates best. It gives a bit of uniformiity to the piece. The various odd sizes look a bit cluttered to me.

Anonymous said...

That's not what I meant to say at all. I likke the china plates best. It's hard to type with the right hand in a cast.

Debs said...

Oh poor Jean the Mom, what have you done to your hand? I hope it gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

I wondered what a hutch was. To us in UK a hutch is where you would keep a rabbit! I think we would cal this a sideboard or a dresser. I think Jean the mum is right as far as looks go.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hmmm, I thought the idea of a KITCHEN hutch is to keep EVERYDAY plates in it. You know, those plates you use over & over again all day every day for the 3+ meals you & the family eat every single day. The every day plates would not be collecting dust over a period of time between special occasions as the good formal occasion china would do. The good China is to be kept in a China Cabinet with doors so the dust can't get to it -- or in those little zippy China cover thingies. But what do I know. I have neither hutch nor China & no prospects for any. O, by the way, I loooove the hutch -- GREAT CHOICE!!

PS I like Jamie's response the best!