Sunday, February 11, 2007

The River Charles

Yesterday we dropped the kids off at Lillians and checked into the Sheraton in Boston so that we could have a nice dinner with friends.

We went to Grill 23, which was good, despite a very grumpy waitress, who apparently didn't think half the table needed wine, and thought the other half could do without coffee. I had the meatloaf and the blue cheese mashed potatoes. Yum.

I had a great time. We really don't go out much, and it was so nice to eat food I hadn't cooked - good food! Not to mention sleep knowing I wouldn't have to wake up until I felt like it. (Actually, I only managed to sleep until 7:30. Still, this is 90 minutes more than I ever get at home.)

The hotel room had a great view of the Charles. Actually, it looked over the section of the Charles I used to run every single day when I worked in Cambridge, that bit between the Longfellow bridge and the Mass Ave bridge. You know? You don't? Well, it's really pretty. Before the river were the three or four story buildings that make Boston so Boston, all tightly packed together, and after the Charles you can see MIT. A few boats are docked on the water for the winter... If you look down the river you can see the Museum of Science... It was all nostalgic and still and very beautiful to look down on from the 25th floor.

I wish I had taken my camera.

And I wish I can tell you how tired I am right now. Having fun is hard work!

No comments: