Sunday, February 25, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine in the Melting Pot of Posts


This is what happens when you eat too much food cooked in a microwave.

Just kidding.

Many years ago, when I was living with my friends in Cambridge, Mass., There was this uge gigantic snowstorm. The school I worked at closed, and the T stopped running so my roomates couldn't get to work. Being the young, adventurous, and slightly insane girls that we were, we took the opportunity to leaf through a book Julie had about... well, here's the thing. I'm not sure what the book was about - Paganism in general, or Wicca, or witchcraft, or what... but there were "spells" than involved, I think, incense and stones of different colors, but most importantlym there were RECEPIES! And we decided to cook the food for the one that was... well, that would have taken place around that time. It was Imbolc. And the food was very, very good.

After that, we gathered together every year and cooked that food. People we speak to about it always picture horrifying scenes of us running around naked and sacrificing goats while waving lit torches and raving to some deity or another, but honestly, THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN. We gather together and worship the god of dairy products. Meaning, we eat. A lot of dairy.

Yeserday I had my friends over for this yearly feast. I had a lot of fun. I had an excuse to see my friends. I had an excuse to use things like my punch bowl and my soup tureen. And I got to make wonderful things like a salmon tart, and "Wise and Creamy Salmon Soup," and "Magical Cream puffs," and "Faery Wine." And they are SOOOO GOOOOOD! Plus, I got to have one of those meals with with friends where I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants - TWICE - and we talked about everything under the sun, caught up on what people are doing (Q: Pregnant? Moving in with significant other? Moving to Texas? Going to Nursing School? A: YES)

And now, tonight, are the Academy Awards. We also used to get together every year and watch the Academy Awards, placing bets on who would win as though it were a sporting event. Until, of course, we realized we all had to work the next day, and then none of us had seen any of the movies anyway.... and then last year CRASH won best picture and that made me realize how awful an Academy is, that they would pick that awful film as best film of anything other than Worst Dialogue...

ANYWAY, I am still excited about the awards tonight. I have forgotten who has been nominated and I haven't seen any of the movies, except Little Miss Sunshine, which I loved, it made me laugh and cry, and that little girl was so wonderful I hope she wins. That would make up for Crash. For me.

4 comments:

Jules said...

My dearest Fleen! I had the absolute BEST time yesterday. I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG LONG time and it felt great. It was wonderful to see you, Steve, and your adorable, precious boys. (Nick is so polite and Nate is too darn cute for words). It was great to just sit with you, eat with you, and most importantly laugh with you and see you having such a great time. May we keep celebrating Imbolc together until, well, we are ALL peeing in our pants:) And can I just say that I am so impressed that you even OWN a punch bowl and soup careen! (Plus the thought of you serving Nick alphabet soup out of it on a daily basis still makes me giggle.) You are the bestest Mom and friend ever!! Long live fish and dairy!

queenmabby said...

It was a wonderful afternoon - from the dairy high to the dairy coma, it was one of the best imbulcs ever. i wish i had some more fish pie!

xoxo
alee

Lou said...

My favorite part was when Julie came out of her dairy coma and ended a lull in the conversation by announcing (to no one in particular), "I . . . like chocolate." Complete monotone. Glassy-eyed and expressionless.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hmm, I don't know anything about Imbolc, but it sure does look as if Nick has been spending far too much time too close to the microwave. You gotta stop that or turn him into one of the new Teletubbies!!