Wednesday, February 21, 2007

No School Today (Or Monday)

Last week we had a snowstorm, and schools were closed.

Nicholas was confused about the school closings. He just didn't get it. And for the next few mornings he kept asking me if he would be going to school. "I go school today?" And of course, the answer was always NO.

Monday morning, the answer was finally YES. I packed his lunch, and we looked for snowpants, a hat, matching mittens, discussed what he should wear on his feet (boots or shoes) packed extra clothes, extra pull-ups... and then I finally packed him in the car - along with Nathan, who was just as bundled up. It was nine degrees outside, and windy.

We pulled into the parking lot, and I was just unbucklling Nick when he pointed. "Look! There's Miss Alysa!" And there was Nick's teacher rushing to our car and waving her arms. She told us there was no school. At first I thought I had misread the calendar. It was Presidents' Day, but I thought school was open anyway. It turned out it WAS supposed to be open. But there was a problem. The whole area was without water. Nick's teacher said they were trying to call all the parents, but there were so many and they hadn't had much notice. The water situation wouldn't be fixed until 5pm, so school was cancelled for the day.

I don't blame them. Could you imagine even one classroom of small children with no toilets and no water to wash up? Could you imagine even one child?

It was freezing, and Alysa quickly waved and said "We'll see you Wednesday!" and then turned to Nick... and that's when I saw his little face.

Nick's mouth was turned down so far in the corners it was comical. His eyes were open so, so wide, full of tears but he just didn't want to cry. He was shaking with the effort to control himself. He was so, so dissapointed.

It's funny, because it made me laugh, but at the same time I ached for him. I really wanted to make it better,but there was absolutely nothing I could do. He wanted school, and he wanted his friends and his teachers, and I couldn't give them to him.

I tried my best to explain the water situation. I took him to Wal-Mart with me and Nate, and I gave him quarters to put in the Ernie and Bert Fire Truck. I bought myself a coffee and let the boys share a chocolate donut.

But today is a school day. And Nick is walking on air, so excited to be going back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must save this entry and bring it up one morning when he's in the 10th grade and you are trying to peel him out of bed. xoxoxAnne-E

Anonymous said...

This makes my heart sing. Much as when Jamie was in second grade and said, "I want my teacher to be proud of me."