Friday, September 21, 2007

Attention To Detail


The past few days I have been drinking more than my share of coffee.

I have never really been a coffee drinker. Every once and awhile I would stop and get a coffee on the way to work, or sometimes even grab one AT work if I sensed the day was going to need an extra lift, but I have always been perfectly content to get my caffeine fix from soda and chocolate.

Something happened, though. Steve started drinking coffee, and we started making coffee, and now that he's working at home, we're making coffee every single day.

When my mother was pregnant, she apparently drank one or two cases of TAB every day, but these days they warn you off everything when you are pregnant, including sugar, artificial sweeteners, and caffeine. So I usually try to limit the number of coffees and sodas I have in a day to one. Each. Lately, however, I have found myself pouring a generous second cup of coffee, and Steve has been staring at the coffee pot and asking me if I was SURE I made a whole pot?

Which brings us to this morning, when Steve somehow made it downstairs before we did, and suddenly he cried out from the pantry where the coffee maker is. "Have you really been making DECAF?" he asked. Decaf? Me? What? no. Not me. But apparently, YES. When I purchased the coffee as I usually do I somehow managed to grab a bag of decaf instead of a bag of regular coffee, and did not notice. All this week, that's what we've been having. Decaf. Which would explain why I have been so grumpy, and why Steve and I have both been drinking more than usual.

Steve, of course, has some idea that I had it all planned out. To thwart him and his caffeine consuming ways. "It's like the checks," Steve mumbled, referring to the time I ordered checks off the internet, and they somehow showed up with pictured of Winnie-The-Pooh all over them, and of course Steve thought I ordered them that way on purpose, and was a bit upset about them because it's one thing for me to hand over a check of Tigger and Piglet romping about in fall leaves, but quite another for Steve to write a check of a car part or a computer part with the same check. But I swear I just ordered plain old regular checks and I have NO IDEA how on earth we ended up with the ones we did, despite the fact that I really, really love Pooh and I can't blame him for thinking that way. Just like I have no idea how I could have purchased Decaf, make decaf for almost a week, and consumed the same product, all without noticing it was decaf.

4 comments:

LARISSA said...

Kathleen, we've always suspected that you are actually a blond trapped in a brunette's body.

Lou said...

I love picturing Steve paying for "guy stuff" with Pooh checks. Love it. Don't let him order the checks next time or you might end up with NRA ones or Playboy bunny ones!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ooo, ha ha ha he he he ! That was very very good! I am laughing so hard I can hardly catch my breath!!! Thank goodness none of it (checks or coffee) will kill you! Just keep a sunny attitude.

Jamie said...

And is this photograph of Nicholas a reaction to having had his sip cup filled with decaf for a week without his knowing about it?