Sunday, September 09, 2007

Being a Mom


One very important aspect of becoming a full time Mom, one which just doesn't seem to get enough attention, to my mind, is the loss of self. I mean that every moment of your life becomes about what someone else wants and / or needs, and gone are the days where you can sit and think about what kind of pasta sauce to have for dinner or take for granted that there will be time to shower during the day.

Being pregnant, I have to use the bathroom a lot. It's a fact that the bigger the baby gets, the less room there is inside me for anything else, like food, or pee, or even air for me the breathe. Quite often the need to pee interferes with other things.

Yesterday, for example, Nathan asked me for some milk. I happened to know he had a sip cup somewhere, and I insisted we find that one. The trouble is, he's 20 months old. He has no clue where he left it. He needs ME to find it FOR him.

During this great sip-cup search, I had to pee. I sat down, hoping for a few moments, but Nathan walked in on me and caught me sitting down on the job, as it were. And it upset him immensely. "Mommy! Get up!" He cried, pushing at my legs to try to get me to stand.

"Nathan," I explained, "Mommy has to use the potty. When I'm all done, I'll help you find your sip-cup."

At this, Nathan reached over and flushed the toilet. "Thanks, Nate, but I'm still not done yet!" I said. So Nathan clapped his hands and said "Yeaaaa, Mommy!" Then he reached over and tore a strip of toilet paper off the roll - which he did lengthwise, about a third of a square across - and turned back to me. He then stuffed it down my pant leg.

And that was it. I was done then, right? Back to more important things, like finding his milk, for goodness sakes!

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

This entry made me laugh out loud! Obviously, you have taught Nathan well because he is giving you what you've given him -- cheers for making on the potty! Good Mommy! Though I wish you had a bit more time to yourself too.